TPN Manager Software Order Processing Process Overview
The following diagram presents a road map for the daily use of the TPN Manager Software program.
The TPN Order Entry programs provide the facilities for TPN order entry, review, authorization, patient medication container label printing, and more.
All TPN order activities begin with the entry of patient information.
When used in conjunction with optional third party software systems, patient and information may be imported into the TPN Manager Software from those systems.
The TPN Manager Software Information Management System has been designed for connectivity to other third party order entry systems.
The method by which these systems can be connected are a function of many technical issues.
In all cases, they involve the "bridging" of the technologies so that the systems can be used as one,
with the preferred elimination of double order entry and manual compounder programming.
The design objective of this system configuration is to significantly reduce the possibility of medication errors.
Once a patient had been entered into the TPN Manager Software, TPN orders can then be entered for that patient.
Orders should only be entered by authorized personnel responsible for data and prescription input.
Orders can be entered in many methods:
- Using Formula Library Order Templates (entered by each facility by patient type)
- Using Formula Library Order Templates along with the modification of that template to satisfy a particular patient needs
- Using Formula Library Order Templates in conjunction with the Age/Weight Dosing Rules
- Using Formula Library Order Templates in conjunction with the Nutritional Assessment tool included with this product
- Using a blank template where all order components must be individually added
- Order assistance is also provided to the use via the Automatic Additive selector tool (entering anions/cations instead of salts)
and/or the Brain Chain Calculator (allows entry of Amino Acids as a function of branch chain amino acids)
Following the submittal of a Patient Order or partial Patient Order, calculations (e.g., order dose to compounding volume) and order checking are then performed.
The TPN Manager Software has the capability of performing a number of checks on that order.
Order checking limits are values that are entered by the end user facility.
Checking, when activated, may include: calcium/phosphate solubility, administration route/Osmolarity, and aluminum and anion/cation level.
Once a complete Patient Order is submitted, the Patient Order must then be scheduled for compounding into one of the queues set up by the facility.
Finally, before label printing is permitted, the Order must be then authorized for compounding by an individual for whom such responsibility has
been granted by the system administrator.
All orders that have been authorized for compounding then become available for Label Printing.
Label printing is also required for Order compounding when the TPN Manager Software is used in conjunction with the Pinnacle Compounder.
The Label printing process actually involves the printing of up to four labels:
- Order Label – Label intended for attachment for the Final Container into which the Patient Order is to be prepared.
All Final Containers must be properly labeled with Patient Information, Delivery Information, and Container contents before use.
- Worksheet Label – Label intended for use by the individual who is preparing the Patient Order during compounding.
Labels includes all order solution components (including those prepared on the Pinnacle Compounder as well as those that might be manually added), respective
solution compounding volumes (including ordered overfill), and other order related information.
- Nutritional Summary Label – Label that summarizes the nutrition content of the Patient order.
The label can be added to the patient file, provided to the clinical nutritionist supporting the patient physical needs assessment, etc.
- Piggyback Label – Label intended for attachment to the piggyback Lipid Container to be delivered for patient administration for those
orders that utilize a piggyback Lipid Container.
When used in conjunction with the Pinnacle Compounder, the TPN Manager Software Information Management System then becomes a part of an even more powerful system.
This system was designed to work in conjunction with a medication error reduction program.
The Pinnacle Compounder can now not only be manually programmed but can also be automatically programmed without the need of operator numerical entry.
In this mode, solution orders are entered in a connected fashion.
Solution names and volumes to be compounded are then transmitted from the TPN Manager Software and automatically programmed into the Compounder Control Panel either
electronically or using other automated methods.
Solution compounding records are maintained on both the Compounder as well as the TPN Manager Software databases.
As a result, more powerful reports can be generated from these databases.